Environmental Protection Section of HCAA is committed to environmental protection of aviation activities and involved in the fight against climate change. HCAA works towards a resource-efficient, competitive and sustainable aviation through an integrated strategy of technology, operations and policy framework.
The department of environmental protection is responsible for the regulation and supervision of civil aviation environmental issues. According to National Law N.4757/2020, it belongs to the Directorate of Aviation Security and Environmental Protection, with the following responsibilities:
• Regulation, certification, and supervision of civil aviation environmental protection issues with the aim to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, aircraft noise, and airports environmental footprint.
• Issuance, suspension, and revocation of Aircraft Noise Certificates.
• Supervision of Aircraft operators for the implementation of EU Emissions Trading Scheme (EU-ETS)
• State authority for the implementation of CORSIA (Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation) as established by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
• Cooperation with national and international organizations, and active participation to the following: a) ICAO and its technical Committee of Aviation Environmental Protection (ICAO / CAEP), b) European Aviation Environment Group (EAEG) of the European Civil Aviation Conference (ECAC), c) the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), d) EUROCONTROL, and e) European Groups for Environmental Protection and Climate Change, regarding the activities of Civil Aviation.